Become a Part-Time Firefighter
Being a part-time firefighter is both challenging and rewarding. The part-time firefighter is an integral part of the West Nipissing Fire Department.
Minimum qualifications for part-time firefighter are:
- Canadian citizen or legal entitlement to work in Canada as a firefighter
- High school graduation diploma (OSSD) or academic equivalent
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly in English and French under stressful conditions
- Valid Ontario class G driver's license. Applicants must have a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behavior and those with four (4) or more points are ineligible for consideration.
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires to submit a Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening with no convictions upon employment.
Recommended qualifications for part-time firefighter are:
- Valid CPR and First Aid certificates
- Valid Ontario class D driver's license with Z air brake endorsement. (Must obtain DZ license within one (1) year of date of hire at own expense.
- Pre-service firefighter education and/or additional training program certificates
- Be capable of handling intense and sustained physical activity
Every day, firefighters are called to serve a civic duty, which is to protect citizens in a time of crisis. Firefighters are one of the more well rounded and versatile emergency task forces in the world.
Fire protection involves:
- preventing, combating, and extinguishing fires
- answering emergency calls
- operating and maintaining fire department equipment, apparatus and quarters
These duties require extensive training in firefighting, technical rescue, hazardous materials, and emergency medical care. Firefighters must operate apparatus and perform dangerous assignments under emergency conditions. Any of these situations may require strenuous physical activity in extremely hostile environments such as toxic smoke and very high temperatures.
Although fighting fires, performing rescue operations, and providing emergency medical are the primary duties, in many departments a significant portion of a firefighter's time is spent conducting inspections, participating in training, and performing routine station duties.
There are no full-time jobs available at the moment. However, applications for volunteer positions are always on-going.
In order to begin the application process, please obtain an application form at Station 1 of the fire service, which is located at 225 Holditch Street, Suite 104 in Sturgeon Falls. To view application form, please click here ( pdf format )